When, on 1 October 1920, Berlin amalgamated its surrounding municipalities, incorporating cities like Charlottenburg, Schöneberg, Lichtenberg and Neukölln, a new metropolis – Greater Berlin – was created in the heart of Europe. With 3.8 million inhabitants and a surface area of 878 square kilometres, Greater Berlin became at a stroke one of the world’s largest cities, alongside London, New York and Los Angeles. The challenges of providing the enlarged city with water, electricity, gas and heating were massive. The historian Dr. Timothy Moss investigates the infrastructure politics of this time, which was guided by a sole objective: to unify the metropolis through integrated urban policy. This principle of ‘networked municipalism’ was, however, subsequently eroded by the Nazis – as exemplified by Hitler’s idea for a mountain spring water supply.
Dr Timothy Moss
Series created by
Gisela Graichen and Peter Prestel