The Zukunftskolleg is a central scientific institution of the University of Konstanz for the promotion of junior researchers in the natural sciences, humanities and social sciences, and is an integral component of the institutional strategy “Model Konstanz — Towards a Culture of Creativity.” The Zukunftskolleg forms a platform for interdisciplinary discourse between distinguished researchers in Germany and abroad, and provides them with resources to conduct their research free from restraints.
The Zukunftskolleg of the University of Konstanz offers two 5-year Research Fellowships (any discipline represented at the University of Konstanz) (Salary Scale TV-L 14) to develop and implement individual research projects and build up their own research group. In principle, this position can be divided into two part-time positions. The fellowships will begin on April 1, 2019, and end on March 31, 2024.
The Zukunftskolleg provides a professional infrastructure and an appropriate workplace for conducting research independently in an international community. Fellows have the opportunity to benefit from a variety of career development measures, including the University of Konstanz’s Academic Staff Development and Research Support offices. Fellows may nominate recognised experts in their field of research as Senior Fellows, who will be invited to Konstanz for a research stay of one to twelve months. Each 5-year Fellow receives Start-up Funding and a monthly Research Allowance. Furthermore, a pool is available for funding cooperative projects, research assistants, travel and research visits, scientific retreats and equipment purchases. Each fellow is a member of both a university department and the Zukunftskolleg.
These fellowships are available to researchers characterised by a strong and creative mind, an ability to think and communicate beyond their own disciplines, regardless of their nationality. Applicant Requirements for this fellowship include:
- Candidates must be in possession of a doctoral degree (PhD thesis submitted and defended) and have acquired five years of postdoctoral research experience at most.
- Candidates must not hold an academic permanent position, a professorship, or have a habilitation or equivalent (Venia legendi).
- Candidates must have a research grant of at least 50,000 € or an equivalent amount of funding which will be used for building up their own research group while at the Zukunftskolleg. Candidates can apply also with a submitted grant application, which has not been decided yet. In this case, a fellowship offer is conditional on the approval of the external grant application. Candidates with their own position funded by another programme, which can be transferred to Konstanz, are also eligible.
- Applicants must propose a research project that ties in with a discipline represented at the University of Konstanz. Applicants should contact potential mentors (Local Hosts) among the researchers at the University of Konstanz in order to ensure appropriate affiliation. Support from the department strengthens the application.
All these requirements have to be fulfilled at the application deadline (October 15, 2018). Fellows have an opportunity to teach. They are expected to participate actively in the regular weekly meetings of the Zukunftskolleg and to have their place of residence in Konstanz or surroundings. Fellows are selected on the basis of their academic excellence, the quality and topicality of their research project outline, personal aptitude with regard to leadership and team skills, motivation to join and contribute to the Zukunftskolleg community. International experience in teaching or research, and a strong interest in interdisciplinary topics are desirable.
Applications are evaluated in a three-stage process:
- Eligibility check and pre-selection based on the written application;
- Further selection based on independent peer reviews;
- Personal assessment of the remaining candidates by the Recruitment Committee in the interdisciplinary Workshop on Future Research Directions, to be held at the University of Konstanz in February 2019.
Candidates will be informed of the final decision one week after the workshop. More information on the Zukunftskolleg and current fellows, as well as a special section devoted to the application and selection process (online application process, required documents, guidelines on eligibility, evaluation criteria, the timeline and the stages of the selection process) are available on our website at: https://www.uni-konstanz.de/zukunftskolleg/.
Persons with disabilities are explicitly encouraged to apply. They will be given preference if appropriately qualified (contact + 49 7531 88–4016). As an equal opportunity employer, the University of Konstanz we strive to increase the number of women in research and teaching. The University of Konstanz is committed to ensuring an environment that promotes a good balance between university and family life. To find out how the University of Konstanz supports working couples through its dual career programme, please visit: http://www.uni-konstanz.de/dcc.
All applications and supporting materials must be submitted in English via the Online Application Platform including reference number 2018 / 153 at: https://www.uni-konstanz.de/zukunftskolleg/online-application/. The required documents include a completed application form, a letter of motivation, a research proposal, a curriculum vitae, a writing sample, and two letters of reference. The deadline for applications is October 15, 2018, 11:00 am (Konstanz time).
The University of Konstanz has been successful in the German Excellence Initiative since 2007.