The global challenge of growing social inequality takes a prominent role in many of the Volkswagen Foundation’s funding initiatives; against the backdrop of rapidly changing societies in the world, it currently deserves even more attention than ever before.
Herrenhausen Conference: "Re-Thinking Social Inequality"
12.05.2014 – 14.05.2014 | Hannover, Tagungszentrum Schloss Herrenhausen
In cooperation with the WZB Berlin Social Science Center and other research institutions, the Volkswagen Foundation will hold a conference on social inequality. Our objective is to present new research questions pertaining to the theme of social inequality as well as innovative methodological approaches to this field; through this, the conference aims to challenge traditional perspectives and opens up new ways of thinking.
The conference aims to facilitate a dialogue between experts from various backgrounds. We would like to reflect on the recent and forthcoming developments, and to discuss new opportunities to cope with social inequality.
Amongst others, we would like to discuss the following questions:
- Which different phenomena of social inequality do we know?
- How do the different cultures perceive social inequality? What value does research add to a better understanding of social inequality?
- How can research contribute to solve problems of social inequality?
- Which role do civil society and non-governmental organizations play in coping with social inequality?
- How can we improve access to professional training and higher education as a first step to overcome social inequality?
We invite all researchers and experts working in this field.
There is no fee for the attendance, but registration is essential.
Prof. Jutta Allmendinger, Ph.D., WZB Berlin Social Science Center
Prof. David Brady, Ph.D., WZB Berlin Social Science Center
Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Merkel, WZB Berlin Social Science Center
Prof. Dr. Vincent Houben, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin