Madrasa and Jamiʿ al-Khusrawiyya | جامع ومدرسة الخسروية

Jamiʿ al-Khusrawiyya

Urban and social historical background

The Khusrawiyya Complex
By Stefan Knost

On 25 Rajab 922 / 24 August 1516, Mamluk and Ottoman armies clashed in Marj Dabiq, not far from Aleppo. The Ottomans were victorious and within a short period of time Aleppo and the whole of Syria and the Levant (Bilad al-Sham) were integrated into the growing Ottoman Empire.

In the decades following the conquest, Ottoman policies prepared Aleppo for its role as one of the empire’s major trading hubs. The Mamluks had already constructed caravanserais and markets, but in the 10th century AH / 16th century AD urbanism took on a different shape and dimension. Yet the legal-administrative framework of these engagements – the institution of the waqf, or Islamic religious endowment – remained the same.

Khusraw Pasha, the patron of the first Ottoman-style külliye (complex of buildings serving the social and religious needs of the community) in Aleppo, was originally from Bosnia and had been recruited as part of the devșirme (child levy), which forcibly mustered young boys from Christian families in the Balkans and Anatolia into the Ottoman army and civil service. He served as a governor of Aleppo in the second half of the 930s AH / first half of the 1530s AD and returned to the city during the winter of 941 AH / 1534–35 AD with the campaign against Safavid Iran.

His architectural complex including a Friday mosque (jamiʿ), a madrasa (Islamic college), and a takiyya (travellers lodge) with an imaret (public kitchen), was built in front of the citadel, thus symbolically occupying a prominent location next to the old centre of power. It was completed in 953 AH / 1546–47 AD; in 2014, it was destroyed. Just across the street, a commercial structure (qaysariyya) with more than 50 shops, one of many similar buildings to generate income for the endowment, was to be located, the – today partly destroyed – Khan al-Shuna. This and other Ottoman endowments of the 10th century AH / 16th century AD provided Aleppo with the infrastructure needed for an important hub of long-distance trade.

Realising such a large complex in the centre of Aleppo required some sophisticated urban operations. A number of plots needed to be acquired, some of them already waqf properties, including a mosque and a madrasa. Although rejected by some jurists, waqf property could be exchanged against other assets, provided a judge determined that it was of advantage to the endowment.

Over a period stretching from the 10th to the 13th centuries AH / 16th to the 19th centuries AD, the Khusrawiyya’s revenues steadily decreased, mainly due to increasing costs for renovations. As a result, the administrator (mutawalli) had to cut expenses as well. Then, the earthquake of 1237 AH / 1822 AD severely impacted the area around the citadel and left most of the remaining revenue-generating assets destroyed and the mosque itself damaged. At the end of the 19th century, the mosque and some of its functions as a madrasa were finally restored and revived. Well into the middle of the 20th century, it remained the most important madrasa with a ‘traditional’ curriculum, its professors being recruited from among the most illustrious families of Muslim religious scholars (ulama).

Read more...

Maps and drawings | خرائط ومخططات

Art and architectural history

The Khusrawiyya Complex
By Rami Alafandi

The Khusrawiyya complex was built as a Friday mosque (jamiʿ), an Islamic college (madrasa) and a lodge for travellers (here: takiyya). For nearly 500 years it had been dominating the open space facing the citadel’s gateway, until it was destroyed in 2014.

The completion date of the mosque (953 AH / 1546–47 AD) and the names of the Ottoman sultan Suleiman I (r. 1520–1566) and of the patron Khusraw Pasha, fourth vizier and previous governor of Aleppo (ca. 1532–1534) were given in the foundation inscriptions above the mosque’s entrance.

The Khusrawiyya complex is widely regarded as one of the first major ‘public’ projects of Sinan, chief architect of the imperial atelier in Istanbul at the time. Apparently, the design was executed on-site through an unknown architect, possibly by local craftsmen.

The Khusrawiyya was the first Ottoman building in Aleppo: It signifies a transformation from Mamluk to Ottoman style based on the construction of a freestanding mosque with an enormous hemispherical central dome and a polygonal, pencil-shaped minaret. On either side of the cubical structure, there was a small domed room (recalling the tabhane – a special “guest room” of early Ottoman mosques) and an arcaded five-domed entrance gallery (portico) on a podium in front of the main facade.

Originally, the madrasa occupied just the southwestern, the takiyya with adjacent public kitchen the southeastern part of the complex. For the first time in Aleppo, there was a complex comprising several buildings with different socio-religious functions: in the history of Ottoman architecture this is referred to as “külliye”. Newly introduced Ottoman elements were, for example, the lead covered dome with its buttresses and the polychrome painted underglaze tiles for window lunettes and a frieze of the minaret. However, some design elements remained rooted in the local building tradition.

The complex had been restored and modified since the massive earthquake of 1237 AH / 1822 AD; around 1302 AH / 1885 AD it was reopened as a madrasa. Yet, the structure of the mosque had preserved its original layout.

The Khusrawiyya marked the beginning of the ‘Ottomanization’ of both the mosque architecture and the skyline of Aleppo. This was continued with the ʿAdiliyya and Bahramiyya complexes during the following decades of the 10th century AH / 16th century AD.

Read more..

الإطار التاريخي الاجتماعي و العمراني

مجمع الخسروية

شتيفان كنوست

في الخامس والعشرين من رجب 922 / الرابع والعشرين من شهر آب عام 1516، اشتبكت الجيوش المملوكية والعثمانية في معركة مرج دابق، ليس بعيداعن حلب. وكان النصر حليف العثمانيين، وخلال فترة قصيرة من الزمن تم دمج حلب وسورية (بلاد الشام) بأكملها في الإمبراطورية العثمانية المتنامية.

وفي العقود التي تلت الغزو، قامت السياسات العثمانية بإعداد حلب لدورها كواحدة من مراكز التجارة الرئيسية في الإمبراطورية. كان المماليك قد بنوا بالفعل عدداً من الخانات والأسواق، ولكن في القرن العاشر الهجري / السادس عشر الميلادي اتخذ المد الحضري شكلا وبعدا مختلفين، ومع ذلك، ظل الإطار القانوني/الإداري لهذه الالتزامات - مؤسسة الوقف، أو الوقف الإسلامي – الذي بقي على حاله.

كان خسرو باشا، والي أول مبنى على الطراز العثماني "كلية" ("‘külliye")، (مجمع المباني التي تخدم الاحتياجات الاجتماعية والدينية للمجتمع)، والذي كان أصله من البوسنة وتم تجنيده كجزء من الدِّوشيرمه (بالتركية devşirme)، حيث كانت الدولة العثمانية تقوم بتجنيد الفتيان من الأسر المسيحية في البلقان والأناضول قسراً في الجيش العثماني والخدمة المدنية. شغل خسرو باشا منصب والي حلب في أوائل عام 1530 وعاد إلى المدينة خلال فصل الشتاء من عام 941 هجري /  1534-1535 ميلادي مع الحملة ضد إيران الصفوية.

وقد تم بناء مجمّعه المعماري بما في ذلك جامع الجمعة، مدرسة (الكلية الإسلامية)، إمارت (المطبخ العام) والاعتمادية، تحت القلعة في حلب، وبالتالي فقد احتل، رمزياً، مكاناً بارزاً بجوار مركز السلطة القديم. وقد انتهى بناء المجمع عام953 هـ /  1546م. وفي الشارع المقابل تَوضع بناءٌ تجاري (القيسرية) يحتوي على أكثر من 50 محل تجاري، وهو أحد المباني المتشابهة التي كانت توفر الدخل لهذا الوقف، يدعى اليوم خان الشونة. زود وقف خسرو باشا وأمثاله من الأوقاف العثمانية العديدة في القرن العاشر الهجري / السادس عشر الميلادي حلب بالبنية التحتية اللازمة لتكون مركزا هام لتجارة المسافات البعيدة.

تشييد هذا المجمع الكبير وسط حلب، كان يتطلب إدارة مدنية معقدة. إذ وجب اقتناء عدد من الأراضي، بعضها كانت عقارات وقفية بالأصل، متضمنة جامع ومدرسة. وعلى الرغم من اعتراض بعض الفقهاء، تم استبدال بعض الأراضي الوقفية بممتلكاتٍ أخرى بناء على قرار القاضي بأنها تعود بالمنفعة للوقف.

خلال فترة تمتد من القرن العاشر إلى الثالث عشر الهجري / السادس عشر إلى القرن التاسع عشر الميلادي، انخفض دخل الخسروية بشكل مطرد، ويرجع ذلك بالأساس إلى زيادة تكاليف الترميم والتعمير. ونتيجة لذلك، قام مسؤول إدارة الوقف (المتولي) بخفض المصاريف. ألقى زلزال عام 1237 هـ / 1822 م بطلالة الثقيلة على المنطقة المحيطة بالقلعة وأدى إلى تدمير معظم الممتلكات المتبقية، التي كانت مصدراً للدخل الوقف وقد تضرر الجامع أيضاً. في نهاية القرن التاسع عشر، أخيرا، تم ترميم وإحياء الجامع وبعض وظائف الوقف كالمدرسة. وحتى منتصف القرن العشرين، لا تزال المدرسة أهم المدارس التي تطبق منهاج "تقليدي"، حيث يتم اعتماد أساتذتها من العائلات الأكثر إلهاماً في الدين الاسلامي (العلماء) في حلب.

اقرأ المزيد...

الخسروية، منظر من القلعة للمجمع وخان الشونة والمقاهي الحديثة

تاريخ الفن والعمارة

مجمع الخسروية

رامي الأفندي 

تم بناء مجمع الخسروية كجامع ومدرسة وتكية (نزل للمسافرين)، ومنذ ما يقرب 500 سنة كان يهيمن على الفراغ العام الذي يواجه بوابة القلعة، حتى تم تدميره عام 2013.
 
تاريخ إتمام بناء الجامع (953 هجري / 1546-47 ميلادي) واسم كل من السلطان سليمان الأول (1520-1566) وخسرو باشا، الوزير الرابع والوالي السابق لحلب (1532-1534) حُفظت منقوشة فوق مدخل الجامع.
يشار إلى مجمع الخسروية باحترام كبير كواحد من المشاريع الكبرى الأولى لـ (سنان باشا)، كبير المهندسين المعماريين للإمبراطورية في اسطنبول في ذلك الوقت. ويبدو أنه قد تم تنفيذ تصميمه في الموقع من خلال مهندس معماري غير معروف، ويمكن أن يكون قد تم ذلك من قِبَل حرفيين محليين.
 
كانت الخسروية، أول مبنى عثماني في حلب. و كانت رمز للتحول من النمط المملوكي إلى النمط العثماني، المرتكز على بناء مسجد قائم بذاته، مع قبة ضخمة مركزية نصف كروية، ومئذنة متعددة الأضلاع على شكل قلم رصاص. على جانبي قاعة الصلاة كانت غرفة صغيرة ذات قبة (تذكر "بغرفة الضيوف" في المساجد العثمانية الأولى) ورواق مسقوف بخمس قباب مرفوعة على أقواس عرضية أمام واجهة المدخل.
 
في الأصل، تتوضع المدرسة جنوب غرب، والتكية مع المطبخ العام (عمارة) في الجزء الجنوبي الشرقي من المجمع. ولأول مرة في حلب، كان هناك مجمع يضم عدة مبان ذات وظائف مختلفة: في تاريخ العمارة العثمانية، يشار إليها باسم الكليّة "külliye ". وكانت العناصر العثمانية التي تم إدخالها حديثا هي القبة الرئيسية مع دعاماتها الخارجية وألواح القيشاني الملونة على نجفات النوافذ.على أية حال، بقيت بعض عناصر التصميم متجذرة في التقاليد المحلية للبناء.
 
وقد تم ترميم المجمع وتعديله عدة مرات، بعد الزلزال الهائل الذي وقع عام (1237 هجري / 1822 ميلادي)  وفي عام (1340 هجري / 1921 ميلادي) أعيد افتتاح المجمع كمدرسة ومسجد، ولكن من دون إعادة تأسيس التكية. ومع ذلك فقد حافظت بنية المسجد على تصميمها الأصلي .
 
اعتبر مجمع خسروية، بداية تحول النمط المعماري والفني للمدينة ليصبح عثمانياً واستمر ذلك مع مجمعي العادلية والبهرمية خلال العقود التالية من القرن السادس عشر.