Dr. Piraye Hacıgüzeller
Universität: University of Oxford
Marie Curie Fellow of the Gerda Henkel Foundation
Archaeological Spatial Analysis and Cartography: Theory and Practice
Archaeology and the Map: from Critique to Practice
FachbereichInstitute of Archaeology - University of Oxford
- Hacıgüzeller, P. and Thaler, U., 2014. Three tales of two cities? A comparative analysis of topological, visual and metric properties of archaeological space in Malia and Pylos. In: E. Paliou, U. Lieberwirth and S. Polla, eds. Spatial analysis and social spaces: Interdisciplinary approaches to the interpretation of historic and prehistoric built environments. Berlin: de Gruyter.
- Hacigüzeller, P., 2012. GIS, critique, representation and beyond. Journal of Social Archaeology, 12(2), pp. 245-263.
- Hacıgüzeller, P., 2008. Modelling human circulation in the Minoan Palace at Malia. In: A. Posluschny, K. Lambers & I. Herzog, eds. Layers of perception. Proceedings of the 35th international conference on computer applications and quantitative methods in archaeology (CAA). Berlin, Germany 2-6 April 2006. Bonn: Dr. Rudolf Habely GmbH, pp. 336-341.
- Driessen, J., Fiasse, H., Devolder, M., and Haciguzeller, P., and Letesson, Q., 2008. Recherches spatiales au Quartier Nu à Malia (MRIII). Creta Antica 9, pp. 93-110.
- Hacıgüzeller, P., 2007. Testing spatial patterns and hypotheses at Bronze Age Palaikastro, Crete. In: J. T. Clark and E. M. Hagemeister, eds. Proceedings of the 34th Annual Meeting of Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology (CAA). Fargo (USA), 18-23 April 2005. Budapest: Archaeolingua, pp. 493-499.
- Letesson, Q., Fiasse, H., Haciguzeller, P., Devolder, M. and Driessen J., 2007. Recherches spatiales au Quartier Nu à Malia (MR III). Bulletin de Correspondance Hellénique 131(2), pp. 850-852.
- Çatalhöyük Research Project (Turkey)
Project Director: Ian Hodder (Stanford University)
2015 (forthcoming): Progress in Archaeology? The Case of Digital Cartography from Çatalhöyük, Turkey. Public presentation at the “Archaeology and the Map: Critique and Practice” meeting at the University of Leicester, Leicester (United Kingdom), 23 May 2015.
2015 : Archaeological Process and Cartographic Progress. Public presentation at the 43rd Annual Conference of Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology (CAA), Sienna (Italy), 30 March-3 April 2015.
2014: Archaeological Imaginations through Map Art. Public presentation at the European Association of Archaeologists’ (EAA) 20th Annual Meeting, Istanbul (Turkey), 10-14 September 2014.
2014: On the Potential Contribution of Material Culture Studies to (Digital) Cartographic Theory. Public Presentation at the 42nd Annual Conference of Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology (Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne), Paris, 25 April 2014.
2014: Archaeology, GIS and the Map: Broadening Horizons. Lecture at the Institute of Archaeology (University of Oxford), Oxford, 14 March 2014.
2013: Hacιgüzeller, P., 2013. Beyond the Object: Re-mapping the Past as “Material Practices”. Lecture at the Leuven Archaeological Research Seminar (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven), Leuven, 02 May 2013.
2013: Hacιgüzeller, P., 2013. GIS-Based Metric and Visual Integration Analysis: Potential Applications and Methodological Issues. Lecture at the Digital Classist Seminar (German Archaeological Institute and the TOPOI Excellence Cluster), Berlin, 05 March 2013.
2010: Hacιgüzeller, P., 2010. A “critical GIS” for archaeology? Public presentation at the Workshop of Spatial Analysis Applied to Archaeological Sites from Protohistory to the Roman Period, University of Ghent, Ghent (Belgium), 2-3 December 2010.
2010: Hacıgüzeller, P., 2010. Calculating metric integration at architectural scale using GIS: A demonstration of the methodological workflow. Public presentation at the Interdisciplinary and International Workshop on Spatial Analysis of Past Built Environments, TOPOI Excellence Cluster, Berlin (Germany), 1-2 April 2010.
2010: Hacıgüzeller, P. And Thaler, U., 2010. ...that they may not understand one another’s speech: A comparison of space syntax and GIS analyses of architectural space. Public presentation at theInterdisciplinary and International Workshop on Spatial Analysis of Past Built Environments, TOPOI Excellence Cluster, Berlin (Germany), 1-2 April 2010.
2010: Hacıgüzeller, P., 2010. Take it from the top: A new approach to studying the use of space in Quartier Mu. Lecture for the Aigeiros Lecture Series at German Archaeological Institute at Athens (Greece), 19 May 2010 (with respondents Dr. Carl Knappett from University of Toronto and Dr. Ulrich Thaler from German Archaeological Institute at Athens (DAI Athens)).
Scientific Meetings (Co-)organised:
2014: “Practising Digital Cartography in Archaeology: What is at Stake?” Session co-organised with Prof. Gary Lock (University of Oxford) at the Computer Applications & Quantitative Methods in Archaeology Annual Meeting, Paris (France), 22-25 April 2014.
2015 (forthcoming): “Archaeology and the Map: Critique and Practice” One day meeting co-organised with Prof. Gary Lock (University of Oxford) and Dr. Mark Gillings (University of Leicester) at the University of Leicester Leicester (United Kingdom), 23 May 2015.
Technical Competences and Skill
- GIS-based spatial analysis, database construction and data visualisation
- Archaeological spatial analysis
- Building GIS web sites (using CartoDB)
- Integrating GIS data to Google Earth
- ArcGIS programming with Phyton
- Topographical survey